Re: How does the updating work?

---------

Jonathan I. Kamens (jik@cam.ov.com)
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 11:02:06 -0500

From: Dave <valiant@ritz.mordor.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 1995 10:37:32 -0500

Can anyone tell me how the updating of the rtfm.mit.edu FAQ archives
works? Is it automatic? Is there a predictable time lag? Or does someone
manually update the files there?

The news spool is supposed to be scanned nightly for new FAQ postings,
which are added to the rtfm.mit.edu archive, replacing old versions of
the same postings.

However, the scan doesn't always happen every night, because the
machine is incredibly overloaded. This may improve if/when the rtfm
services are moved to a new, better machine. The hardware is already
there, but people haven't yet had the time to move all the services to
it and make sure they still work.

If I use the server and send an UDPATE command, will the faq normally be
updated in the archives, or is there something else I'm supposed to do?

The FAQ server is completely independent of the FAQ archive on
rtfm.mit.edu. Updating your FAQ in the FAQ server does nothing more
than change what the FAQ server will post the next time your FAQ is
due to be posted. It will not cause the FAQ to be updated in the
publicly accessible archive.

Jonathan Kamens | OpenVision Technologies, Inc. | jik@cam.ov.com