Re: The letter is way off base...

---------

Alf the Poet (afs!piz!alf@uu5.psi.com)
Fri, 16 Dec 94 15:38:41 -0500

Craig A. Finseth (who is, apparently, a cosmic, peanut-butter
flavored lawyer) wrote:
> D) receive nothing in return (except the joy of sharing)
> Specifically regarding point D, would Walnut Creek be in deep
> karmic doo-doo if they publish my FAQ? Please, only cosmic,
> peanut-butter flavored lawyers need reply.
>
>In my opinion, no. Look at their work as a whole (I hope all of
>you have at least glanced over a copy of the previous version of
>the CDROM in question).

I have visited it on the astral plane, yes.

>The price is set by the overall task: adding or removing a few
>items does not change it.

But I must insist that they receive the joy of sharing in _addition_
to cost coverage. I forbid them to distribute my FAQ otherwise!

>This situation parallels the Kermit case. I once wrote and sold
>for profit a VT100 emulator program.[*] I wanted to include the
>Kermit file transfer protocol. The Kermit people prohibited
>commercial distribution. But they had no problem in my including
>it _so_long_as_I_didn't_charge_extra_ for Kermit. I didn't and
>they were happy.

Were _you_ happy? It would appear so.

>I think their feelings were very close to yours.

Hold it, bub! Don't drag my feelings into this! We haven't been
dating long enough yet!

Alf

P.S. All this is to say: LIGHTEN UP, ALL YOU FATHEADS WHO BITCH
ABOUT COPIES OF YOUR FAQ BEING DISTRIBUTED IN WAYS THAT GET
YOUR PANTIES IN A BUNCH!!!!!

P.P.S. You bozos would be eaten alive by the anti-dogmatists in
my newsgroup. Sheesh...

P.P.P.S. Craig, this is in no way meant to be a swipe at you
individually. You can copy my FAQ any time you want, no
charge. :-)

--
Use PGP (the "electronic envelope") before Congress says you can't!

E-mail with subject "PGP key" for PGP public key, or find it on one of the keyservers. And read alt.security.pgp!