Proxy posting of FAQs to news.answers

---------

Peter J. Kappesser (pjkappes@mailbox.syr.edu)
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 00:45:58 -0500

Recently Ping Huang <pshuang@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>Granted, there is a certain minimal technical competency barrier in
>effect for FAQ maintainers to get their postings approved for
>*.answers, although we try to do what we can to keep that low. The
>existence of the faq-server posting service, and our approval of proxy
>posters [i.e., person FOO maintains the contents, but person BAR takes
>care of the technical details of posting], are specific examples of
>things which help lower some technical barriers.

Which, with the FAQs I'm involved with, seems to be working -- I'm "person
BAR" for about a half-dozen FAQs in various newsgroups I visit. I was going
to ask this of news-answers-request, but since it's been brought up here I
thought it might be of wider interest for others in a similar situation:

Is there a preferred format or method for submitting such "tag team" FAQs
for approval? The ones I'm posting for others are, effectively, forged with
the maintainer's name & address in "From" and "Reply-To". Inews here inserts
an "Originator" line with my email address, and I have a secondary
"Please-Note" header explaining that comments about the contents should go
to FOO and comments on the headers go to BAR (i.e., me). To submit for
approval, I run auto-faq in test mode, which outputs to a file, which I edit
to change "Reply-To" to me and add the "To" line for the news.answers
moderators, then feed it to sendmail.

Would it be a good idea to have both the maintainer's and my addresses in
"Reply-To"? The first such FAQ has just been approved, and the moderator
cc:d the maintainer anyway, so I'd like to do what's most convenient for the
moderators. I was thinking of even posting the FAQs that way, since these
are about topics I'm interested in anyhow, and I'd have early warning to
expect an updated FAQ from the maintainer.

--
pjkappes@mailbox.syr.edu (Peter Kappesser)