Re: Name=faq-maintainers?

---------

Ian Jackson (iwj10@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Tue, 13 Dec 94 14:07 GMT

"Kerry G. Forschler" writes ("Name=faq-maintainers?"):
> I have a suggestion:
>
> All email that comes from the faq-maintainers mailing list should
> have the username faq-maintainers.
>
> I'm on the linux mailing list, which has linux in the name. This
> makes it very easy to identify where email is from. With the
> senders name listed, I don't know where the email is from.
>
> What do you think?

I think this would be an excellent idea. I've already asked for it
myself (faq-maintainers is the only mailing list I'm subscribed to
where my .procmailrc can't reliably filter out the mailing list
messages), but they told me they weren't going to do it.

The other problem is that faq-maintainers messages still have the
original poster as the SMTP envelope sender address (aka the
Return-Path).

This means that the poster gets bounces from broken addresses, instead
of the list manager (who could actually do something about it). No
doubt we have all experienced this problem ...

Fixing this would fix the other problem too, because most MTA's put
the SMTP envelope sender in the headers somewhere when they finally
deliver a message.

Ian.