Re: Is there a FAQ on how to format postings?

---------

Chris Lewis (clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca)
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 20:14:37 -0500

On Dec 12, 12:33, Jack Hamilton wrote:
} Subject: Re: Is there a FAQ on how to format postings?
} P. Michael McCulley wrote:

} > On Sun, 11 Dec 1994, Jack Hamilton wrote:
} > I agree. If you'll forgive a lurker for jumping in. One of the documents
} > I looked for when I had some ideas for a FAQ document was a "How to Write
} > a FAQ" FAQ --couldn't find one. You seem to be suggesting a "How to
} > Format a FAQ" FAQ. I think, insofar as possible, both would be useful to
} > the community.

} I agree that a posted FAQ on writing FAQ's would be useful, but there are
} several files out there somewhere explaining how to do it. For whatever
} reason (because because there is so much disagreement over the format?)
} they're not posted to news.answers or anywhere else, as far as I know.

Here's one that is:

|Subject: FAQs: A Suggested Minimal Digest Format
|Newsgroups: news.admin.misc,news.software.readers,news.answers
|
|Archive-name: faqs/minimal-digest-format

} But that's not what I'm looking for. What I want is much more basic. It
} would be closer to an introduction to using simple text editors, something
} which many newbies don't seem to have mastered. I want something that says
} "This is how you quote text on AOL" and "This is what you do in vi to keep
} the lines from getting too long", and so forth.

They should consult the documentation for their system. It's not
really possible to write a FAQ for FAQ writers that does this justice.
There's too many different editors, systems, providers etc.

--
Chris Lewis: _Una confibula non sat est_
Phone: Canada 613 832-0541