Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

Mr Rhys Weatherley (rhys@fit.qut.edu.au)
Sun, 11 Dec 1994 16:10:47 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 9 Dec 1994, Tom Lane wrote:

> Ross Smith writes:
> > The point I was trying to make was that, within a few years, the vast
> > majority of the Net population will be paying by the byte.
>
> That's not an idea whose time is coming, it's an idea whose time has
> passed.

Tell that to AARNet in Australia which is moving from flat-rate bandwidth
charging to usage based volume charging. They dominate most of the
Australian Internet scene at present. Hopefully competition will improve
this, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree with Ross that volume charging (pay per byte) may start elsewhere
as well. Bandwidth charging pays for what you have now, but it doesn't
pay for what you'll need next year. The US was lucky in that the NSF
handed a nice fat backbone to the US Internet on a platter which skewed
the price per byte there quite a bit.

Once again, be careful of applying network deployment trends from the US
to other parts of the world.

Cheers,

Rhys.