Re: The FAQ system approaches obsolescence. What do we do now?

---------

Pat Berry (pat@berry.Cary.NC.US)
Fri, 09 Dec 94 19:17:27 EST

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Of course long-distance phone service uses the pay-per-use pricing
> model. But that's not some kind of natural law of the universe.
> Several years ago, Arthur C. Clarke forecasted that worldwide phone
> service would go to flat rate by the end of the century. I think he may
> not be far off.

For those who are interested, here is Clarke's prediction (from 2061:
ODYSSEY THREE):

". . . Satellites and fiber optics had revolutionized communications.
With the historic abolition of long-distance charges on 31 December
2000, every telephone call became a local one, and the human race
greeted the new millennium by transforming itself into one huge,
gossiping family."