Noise

---------

Bill Wohler (wohler@newt.com)
Fri, 09 Dec 1994 15:08:51 -0800

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> Ross Smith writes:
> > The point I was trying to make was that, within a few years, the vast
> > majority of the Net population will be paying by the byte.
>
> That's not an idea whose time is coming, it's an idea whose time has
> passed. I use three different Internet service providers, and every one
> of them bills flat-rate, $X per month. I would not consider using any
> provider that billed by the minute or byte. Flat rate is easy to
> budget for and simple for the providers to administer.

Folks,

a) YOUR world is not THE world.

b) This has NOTHING to do with FAQs.

c) Even in the San Francisco Bay Area which is a place with one of
the highest concentration Internet Providers and is one of the most
technologically advanced places in the world (please do *NOT* reply
to this statement--I'm just making a point), I pay for my SLIP
connection by connect time, essentially by the byte, because it's
cheaper than any of the flat rates since I don't need 24-hour
connectivity.

Therefore, please talk about FAQs and how we can make them better.
Designs should work in a perfect world and a non-perfect world.
Discussing the underlying communications is for another forum.

IMPORTANT: Please resist the urge to nit-pick every detail in
everyone's message in a public forum. Before sending your message,
consider whether a cc to faq-maintainers is really, really
necessary, or whether private email would be more appropriate.

May I suggest that those of you who are interested, go off by
yourselves and write a RFC about this and periodically post it to
this list for comments which we would send to you directly and you
could summarize to the list.

Much as I do enjoy coffee-table conversations, this is getting way
out of hand.

% scan -format '%(month{date})' +faq-maintainers | uniq -c
1 Apr
2 May
79 Jun
86 Jul
1 Aug
3 Sep
107 Oct
64 Nov
121 Dec less than a third into the month!

Phew.

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and
President, Newt Software news.software.nn FAQs.
UNIX, Motif, networking consulting Say it with MIME.