The Dept of Interior and the Dept of Agriculture have committed numerous mistakes in the past in dealing with environmental problems. However, Pres Bill Clinton's decision to appoint former Arizona governor Bruce Babbit as Sectretary of the Interior is considered a major change. Babbit, with his radical ideas and environmental awareness, have pushed for policies that have been praised by environmental groups. However, widescale public participation is essential for the successful implementation of his policies.
Publication Name: Greenpeace (Washington, D.C.)
Subject: Environmental issues
Washington discovers Christian persecution
Advocates feel that persecution of Christians is especially rampant in Islamic countries, while these countries see such accusations as a Jewish extremist plot. Some of the people attempting to work together include Nina Shea of Freedom House and Michael J. Horowitz of the Hudson Institute.
Publication Name: The New York Times Magazine
On abortion: a Lincolnian position
There are many parallels between support of abortion rights in the 1990s and apologies for slavery in the years before the Civil War. Principled politicians should model their stances on abortion on Pres Lincoln's stance on slavery. Abortion is legal but it is not morally legitimate.
Publication Name: The Atlantic Monthly
Subject: News, opinion and commentary
- Abstracts: Australia discovers its Chinese gold. Reformulated gasolines: do they mean cleaner air? Or just bigger puddles of gasoline on your garage floor?
- Abstracts: Lawrence Gordon, Christine Vachon. Are your bank charges over the odds?
- Abstracts: Marriage is great for normal people. Metal fatigue
- Abstracts: Getting sauced: as in peanut sauce. The Thai condiment that's the genie in a jar. Male sex survey published
- Abstracts: House of dreams. Skolnick, Mark H