How to charm the birds off the trees
The ability to persuade people to accept your point of view is a very important business skill. When seeking to persuade someone, it is important to first clarify your aims. You must also see the issue from the other person's point of view, so that you are able to show them what they will gain from agreeing with you. Care must be taken to plan your approach, possibly using a mixture of styles to produce a powerful argument. When agreement has been reached, action must be taken immediately before the other person has time to change their mind.
Publication Name: The Independent
Subject: Retail industry
The longest war in the world: Sudan has been fighting for 30 of the last 40 years, 13 of the past 17 decades. Strife is the country's business, and warlords are its tycoons
In war-wracked Sudan, the US and Israel back John Garang and his Sudan People's Liberation Army as buffers against the Arab-influenced Islamic faction of Al-Turabi. The three-pronged hostilities in which the population suffers endlessly, are fueled by both ethnic, racial and economic reasons.
Publication Name: The New York Times Magazine
On becoming wild
Few women have tasted real adventure in their entire life. Building a relationship with the world is more satisfying for women than some accomplishments. Women who have proven this include Amelia Earhart, the first woman pilot to fly around the world and Sally Ride, the first woman astronaut.
Publication Name: Shape
Subject: Women's issues/gender studies
- Abstracts: How the women won: the story of this year's Olympics will be the women. It couldn't have happened without Brtty Friedan, Olga Korbut - and Richard Nixon
- Abstracts: War without end: twenty years after the fall of Saigon, thousand of Vietnamese are still trying to find a home
- Abstracts: The laptop colonialists: they're young global capitalists with no memory of the war, and Saigon is their corporate bohemia
- Abstracts: Transparency, totally: in the diplolingo of arms-control and global-trade policies, it carries sheer force. Tasting panel report
- Abstracts: Rush to a lethal judgement: by ruling in favor of assisted suicide, two federal courts have pre-empted a crucial moral debate - and devised a wronghead 'right.'(Against Doctor-Assisted Suicide)(Cover Story)