When disaster strikes...
Public transport safety standards have not been improved in a number of areas despite public concern and fatal accident statistics. Regulations governing safety on ferries, coaches, minibuses, trains and aeroplanes are reviewed. The Consumers' Association emphasises measures that would reduce the number of fatalities in the event of an accident. Too few lessons are learned from transport disasters such as the capsizing of the Estonia ferry.
Publication Name: Which?
Subject: Consumer news and advice
The lady of the ring: boxing with men taught her that they're not so tough after all
A women trained to be a boxer for the love of the sport and to become fit and tough. The trainer was a frail Mexican and the boxers were young Mexican men. Eventually rapport was established so that they could spar together with respect. The gym atmosphere made them family and she cried when the old man died.
Publication Name: The New York Times Magazine
Meriden, CT, is perhaps the only place on the planet where a person can find steamed cheeseburgers. Invented in the 1890's, they do not look particularly appetizing and they are a very hard sell to the uninitiated, but locals love them as do others who work up the courage to try them.
Publication Name: Yankee
Subject: General interest
- Abstracts: The dream team: with their metaphysical belief in color, Tony and Tina are the new kids at the counter. Will they let the spaceships fly?
- Abstracts: The Margaret factor: who knows what the world would be like if these women had been called Peggy? Political correctness deadens scholarship
- Abstracts: Calling Betty Crocker: a little family get-together gets carried away. Analytical solutions of shock fitting equations for the multishock compaction of die-contained powder media
- Abstracts: Talking turkey. Scottish hospital trusts greeted with hostility
- Abstracts: And at their age! On a bus ride to New Orleans, A group of retirement community residents gossip about the way they live now