Rejecting white culture has become a way for many African Americans to find self-respect and identity. The question of identity is simpler for blacks in South Africa because they were never deprived of their own land, languages and ancestral names.
Publication Name: The New York Times Magazine
15 exacting facialists
A directory of fifteen beauticians who specialize in facials is presented. Many salons employ holistic techniques including attention to diet and mental health before giving the facial. Some salons also use organic materials and facial massage.
Publication Name: Self
Subject: Women's issues/gender studies
To the limit
Publication Name: Feature
Subject: General interest
- Abstracts: The money department. On the track of the poachers: community game guards save Namibia's wildlife
- Abstracts: Party hearty. The Bay Bridge blunder
- Abstracts: Exit strategy. Paradoxes of musical pitch
- Abstracts: New Amsterdam. A continent's chaos
- Abstracts: Brace yourself. Safety Stocks and the Paradox of the Empty Period