Is biotechnology creating a monster?
Acommercialization of science has characterized the biotechnology revolution and this is a first since scientific research used to be confined to academia. The broad-based nature of biotechnology research follows from this commercialization, as it is currently being carried out in 2,000 laboratories nationwide. Much of the research, focused on such goals as cosmetic enhancements, would seem to be frivolous. Federal regulation of the field has not kept up with its spread into the business world and research remains uncontrolled.
Publication Name: Business and Society Review
Managing managed care
All doctors do not take the time to study the many HMO rules and protocols for their patients. Debra Shapiro, an internist working in Cambridge, MA, is one doctor who does. Problems she encounters are discussed. She looks at managing managed care as part of her job, and she has a good reputation.
Publication Name: The New York Times Magazine
The Genie awards is an Oscar-inspired award done in Canadian style. It suffered low ratings in the Canadian television until 1991 when its ratings were doubled. Among the films which won the award were 'The Terry Fox Story' in 1984 and 'Black Robe' in 1991.
Publication Name: Chatelaine
Subject: Women's issues/gender studies
- Abstracts: Manufacturing the next extreme sport. Why more blacks don't invest
- Abstracts: The haunting of our language. Riding the wind
- Abstracts: Great national parks. Postal disturbances
- Abstracts: Cachet and Carrie. The demography of a dream
- Abstracts: Bologna through medieval eyes. Chaka Fattah, U.S representative from Pennsylvania